Wednesday, 17 January 2007

A bit of wireless

AF was having problems using the Internet in Italy but managed to borrow a neighbour’s wireless bandwidth on the balcony. She described some of the problems of Italian and US bureaucracy.
I am deeply scared by the increasing lengths to which bureaucrazy is crushing us. I had a dream that I was accusing John Reid[1] of doing everything to bring 1984 into being. Now they are planning a central government database to keep track of each one of us in everything we do. I told him that double speak was already firmly entrenched in organisational gobbledegook; we had the same Emmanuel Goldstein in the shape of Osama Bin Laden and the same Brotherhood in the shape of Al Qaeeda. We are living under the most intensive surveillance there has ever been. And what is Ingsoc if not New Labour. But as I was speaking it seemed clear that Dr Reid had not actually read Nineteen Eighty-Four. I suggested that he did no matter how busy he was, even half an hour per day. 
Even looking at Google Earth is scary. What they even let us see is so detailed.
We have the hope that it will all soon end.